Summer Skirt Upcycle!

Tuesday, May 11, 2010


So for the past few weeks I've REALLY wanted to make a skirt, which is weird in itself, because I really cannot stand to wear skirts. Quite frankly, I hate them. But I made one, and I know someone who will like it, but I couldn't give it away without a post about it, first.
Every thing in this skirt I had on hand, so its fully up-cycled! Follow the jump!


I used a flat sheet I had on hand, it had no fitted sheet to go with it, and I never used it for anything...
(back story, I have a large collection of flat white sheets from garage sales, thrift stores, etc., I got them all for really really cheap, and I cant turn down several yards of fabric for 50 cents. I went on a dyeing spree, and that's how this particular sheet got to be brown)
Oh yeah..back to the skirt. I had that flat twin sheet, and an old pair of suspenders I no longer wear for the elastic waist.

Here's a rough drawing of my cutting scheme
I folded the sheet in half and cut long strips from it, the shortest one was 20 in (40 when unfolded).
I'm sure its easy to adjust to fit yourself. Cut the rest of the lengths increasing longer than your small strip, the longer the strip, the more gathered it will be.

Using your favorite gathering method, gather one side of each strip so that its the same length as the next longest strip.  (I cheated when gathering, I set my machine's tension high, and the stitch long)
Connect all strips in the same order you cut them out,  smallest to largest, making sure to hide your gathering stitches.
Hem the bottom if you have a rough edge (I didn't do this step because my sheet's side was hemmed).
Fold the top over about an inch and a half, and run a straight stitch. (elastic goes here later on)
Sew up the side of your skirt, stop before you get to the waistband, and insert the elastic.
Sew elastic together, then close up the waistband.

Put on, and go frolic.
I made a little flower pin with some scrap fabric to match the skirt.

what are you waiting for? go frolic!

 Love and glue guns,






PhotobucketAll Thingz Related Beyond The Picket FenceThe Girl Creative

13 comments:

Deb said...

Your skirt is great. I love the story behind it. I am off to explore your other posts.
I found you from your Anything Related link.

Jessica said...

So precious!!! I love your blog! Miss you come see me soon ok :)

Cassie Bustamante said...

oh i love that skirt! i LOVE summer skirts, and love upcycled items and would totally buy one from you were you to sell it. my fave summer outfit is a skirt and a tanktop and a funky necklace. and of course, flip flops!

Star @ A Load Of Craft said...

wow this is so beautiful thanks so much for sharing i am bookmarking this RIGHT NOW and will be making my own asap. i love the .50 sheet idea and that you dyed it! seriously so pretty!!!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Very pretty--love the color too! Thanks for linking up to the Under $100 Party!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for following and for the sweet comment! I love your blog as well...especially that heart with the puzzle piece....adorable. Following you right back :)

Sarah said...

That's such a cute skirt and great idea. I might have to start picking up sheets at garage sales and dying them! You never know when you could turn it into something more useful! I stopping over from New Friend Friday. Hope you have a great weekend!

Julianna said...

This is adorable. I love it! I found you on New Friend Friday! I hope you'll drop by. If you have any Flower projects I am hosting a linky party.
http://singingthreelittlebirds.blogspot.com/2010/05/flower-week-linky-party.html

Kelsey said...

Love the skirt! Thanks for visiting Tattered and Inked- I'm actually in the process of making a button for my blog so I'll defintely post it soon so you can grab it! Thanks for the sweet words :)

Unknown said...

I know just what you mean about skirts. :-) But I do have plenty of friends that enjoy them!! Perhaps I will upcycle one for a friend.

Star @ A Load Of Craft said...

Love this... gave you an award at aloadofcraft.blogspot.com :)

Unknown said...

very cute! found your blog from a load of craft!
I hate wearing skirts too...but I have 2 girls...AND spare sheets!! ;)

http://coutureunraveled.blogspot.com

Mark B said...

You look fantastic in that skirt. Why do you hate wearing them? You are surely way too pretty to live in pants all the time

Post a Comment

I appreciate all your feedback!